I'm on the eve, eve of the first of two commencement ceremonies. (NDSU's Graduate/Professional ceremony is Friday at 4:00 and our Undergraduate ceremony is Saturday at 10:00.)
I've thought to myself multiple times over the past few days, "I wish I had a pause or a fast forward button". If I was able to pause things for a bit (in an attempt to get a little caught up), well, that would be dandy! Then at other times I wish I could fast forward to be past all of the hustle, bustle or worry that is a part of something. But then, of course, who knows what I'd miss and not learn from (good and bad) so that isn't really a good idea either!
I love coordinating commencement. I truly, truly do. It really appeals to the organization, nerd-o, page-protectors-neatly-arranged-in-a-binder, neat-freak, list-making, ducks-in-a-row kinda person I like to be (note - I'm not always this way by any means...just remember that my other dream job is that of a professional organizer). I love watching how all of the small (sometimes mundane) commencement details come together in something so beautiful. And in a very bizarre way (probably a little freakish here) I get goose bumps and the hairs on my neck stand on end when the musical ensemble strikes up "Pomp and Circumstance". Every time. I told ya it was freakish.
I also enjoying seeing so many people from so many various parts of our great campus come together to ensure the success of the event. It is truly "it takes a village" in action.
And as much as I love commencement (who else can say they graduate three times a year - two ceremonies in May and one in December!?!) I typically get to a point that I can't wait for it to be done. I just want it O-V-E-R. This typically happens a few days before and I'm just ready to be done.
This year has been different. Profoundly different.
I know there are many, many factors about why my emotions are different this year. I could philosophically lament on all sorts of reasons.
This is what I know for sure - two of the reasons I am wanting to treasure every moment...every decision...every aspect of set up and the ceremonies. The two reasons are actually two people. Two people I never had the opportunity to meet. Two people I will never meet. But they have truly affected me.
I have worked with Kevin and Lindsey's families as we made plans and details surrounding awarding each of them a posthumous degree at each of our upcoming ceremonies. Each time I visit with the families, I cry. I am looking forward to watching their loved ones cross the stage at each respective ceremony and accept the degree for each of these amazing people. I know both presentations will be so moving and emotional.
And once again, I'll be reminded that this is why life is so precious.
Give your family some extra hugs tonight. And take a few minutes to watch the great news stories about Kevin and Lindsay that I've included below.
No comments:
Post a Comment