Monday, November 2, 2009

We've been invaded :-(

Fortunately it has been a weekend full of rest. Trav sent me a text Friday morning (I was at the conference in town) that Grace had a fever of 101 and had just thrown up. Ugh. Make that double ugh.

I was on my way to the doc for a bladder infection, so the timing was actually perfect.

Thankfully the kids had the H1N1 shot on October 22, so it had been in their system for a week. Two weeks is ideal, but a week is better than a day or two, the doc reported. We didn't bother to get the kids tested for H1N1 - the test is not very fun and regardless, we'd treat both of them with Tamiflu anyway. The plan was to start Grace on the 'treatment' dose of Tamiflu and Carson on the 'prevention' dose. Multiple pharmacies later, we finally found one that could compound it into liquid.

I stopped at the school to give Carson his first dose. It was fun to see him, as I hadn't seen him since Wednesday morning due to the conference - long days. He felt a bit warm. The nurse took his temp - 99.3. Uh - oh. Carson is typically barely over 98, so this was not 'typical'. I gave him his dose and he went back to class, very excited for the fall party that afternoon.

Next, I went home to dose up Tamiflu for Grace. Fever was now at 103.5. She was cuddled in with Travis in the recliner. When she did peek her eyes open, we could tell she was feeling miserable. Her eyes didn't sparkle at all. We got some ibuprofen and Tamiflu on board in hopes they'd help.

Within minutes, I had a call from the school. Carson was back in the school nurse's office. He was flushed and his temp was now 99.5 (15 minutes after the last check). I dashed off to school to pick him up and could tell he was 'hit'. He wanted to go home to rest (rather than the party). Yep, I know he's sick. A quick call to the doc and we revamped his dosage schedule for Tamiflu - now he was in 'treatment' mode as well. Another call to the transplant team just to be sure we weren't missing anything.

I went back to the conference for just a bit to wrap everything up. I was home by early afternoon. Trav went to the grocery store and stocked up. We were ready to hunker down!

I started to feel a bit run down, so took a nap somewhere in the midst of this too. By evening Grace looked a bit better, but she was still far from herself. Carson looked more run-down than anything, but still no sign of high temps for him.

Saturday was full of rest for all of us. Grace's fever continued, but was looking more promising (especially after a four hour nap). Carson was still hanging with a low-grade temp. For most of the day, I felt tired and a bit achey. Trav was busy taking care of all of us. We hung a sign on our door that we didn't want to give out any tricks this year, since we had the flu there wouldn't be any candy from our house. By Saturday evening, we all felt well enough to have a Halloween party. We dressed the kids up in their costumes. Trav hid candy downstairs and the kids had a scavenger hunt. We carved pumpkins. We told a few ghost stories. It was actually a very fun evening. I think sugar is very good medicine for the flu as both kids looked pretty good by the end of the night!

Sunday was full of rest too. Carson was fever-free and Grace's fever was low-grade. We snuggled a bunch and Grace enjoyed watching football. She is such a sports nut - baseball is her favorite. Now I know who can be Daddy's hockey-watching buddy!!!

No sound from either kiddo this morning, so they hopefully each had a good night's rest. Unless something changes, we plan to send Carson back to school today. Grace isn't quite 100%, but hopefully a quiet day will help get her back there.

Next step is cleaning and disinfecting the house!

2 comments:

Sherryse said...

So happy to hear that everyone is feeling better! We have been thinking of you guys and miss you bunches!

Angie said...

Kudos to you guys for making GREAT Halloween memories for your kids, despite illness. Hope everyone is feeling better today and that you all stay well!