Carson got glasses yesterday. He'd been blinking a lot for the past couple of months. We've had him in for eye checks for the past 3 years and they had all been perfect. We had hoped Carson wouldn't have lost the genetic lottery with this one, but what is to be expected when both your parents and most of your grandparents have corrective lenses!
Carson has been hoping for glasses for several years and has been deeply disappointed when the news was delivered that his vision was perfect.
That changed yesterday. After a few quick tests, the doctor confirmed his vision had changed since September.
Gulp.
I was so close to crying. It isn't that glasses are a 'big deal'. After all, many, many, many people need glasses. It is that, for Carson, it is 'one more thing'. It is yet another thing for him to deal with. Another obstacle. Another issue. He's had so many obstacles already, can't he just catch a break?
It was certainly one of those times that a mother's heart feels like it has been ripped out and stomped on.
As I choked back the tears, I watched Carson. He was smiling from ear to ear. He started asking the doctor many questions (awesome questions, I might add). "Do I need to wear my glasses all of the time?" "What about for gym? Swimming?"
He was so excited. It was clear that he thought glasses were awesome.
So, I took a lesson from Carson and I started to see things more clearly too. If he is excited, then I should be too.
We had a great time trying on all sorts of frames. While it wasn't impossible to find frames that 'fit' with his hearing aids, it wasn't easy either. Then there is the matter of color. 'Practical Mom' vetoed anything crazy (thankfully there were few options like this...apparently I'm not the only Mom thinking this way!). Once we found a color we liked, it was time to pick round or square-ish. So many choices. Carson was having a ball.
Then he brought up glasses cases and he wanted a 'cool' glasses case. You would have thought he won the lottery when the optician brought out a SpongeBob case. He picked that one as well as a cool graphic one (one for school and one for home).
He asked the optician more wonderful questions - how to take care of them, how to clean them, etc. He was so mature and I was so proud.
He was even more thrilled when he learned they would be ready in two hours. So, we enjoyed a celebration lunch, dashed to Grammy's to get his things (he has stayed there the night before) and were soon back to pick up his glasses.
It is unbelievable how lightweight they are - especially when I think back to the heavy and huge clunkers I had for my first pair in fourth grade!
He's been a champ about the care, cleaning and wearing of them all weekend. He was excited to Skype with family to show them off. He even Skyped with his hard-of-hearing teacher to share his news. He can't wait for tomorrow to show them to his friends at school.
So, while his nearsightedness isn't awful (it's 20/40), we know it is just a start and he'll likely be 'blessed' with worsening vision for quite a few years. While it is hard to think of 'one more thing' for Carson to deal with, I'm proud of how he's embraced his glasses and certainly have learned a few lessons from him this weekend.
Once again, I'm proud to be a Momma of a Miracle! (And I'm even luckier that I'm a Momma to TWO Miracles!)
No comments:
Post a Comment