Saturday, May 17, 2008

One hundred years ago

One hundred years ago today my maternal grandfather was born. He was a very kind and gentle man, believed in a hard day's work, loved his family immensely and was led by his strong faith. It's hard to believe he's been gone for nearly 14 years. Today is also Syttende Mai (Norwegian Constitution Day is the National Day of Norway and is an official national holiday each year). How excited his family must have been to have a son (100% Norwegian at that!) born on such a special day!

It's easy to wish that Grandpa would have been with us longer here on earth, but at 86 he lived a wonderful and full life. Alzheimer’s had taken his mind, which was hard to watch.

I find comfort in knowing that somewhere up in heaven all of our little angel babies are being held by him and they are playing 'Whoopity' with 'Whoopity Grandpa.' I love you and miss you, Grandpa!

1 comment:

Angie said...

You brought tears to my eyes with this one. I remember your Grandpa Brager coming to church with you all when they were up visiting. I don't remember him saying too much, but I always liked to see your Grandma and him when they came up from Finley. (I still get such a kick out of your Grandma's great sense of humor! Hi, Gladys!) How wonderful that we have such great Grandpas up there to bounce the little angels on their knee and play "Ride, Ride, Ranke" (not sure of the spelling, but my Grandpa Olaf did a Norwegian song with all of us bouncing on his foot with his legs crossed...it's about riding a horse...I bet you anything your Grandma Brager knows what I'm talking about!)