Monday, June 9, 2008

I'm disappointed in your behavior!

I have to get this story on paper (or online) before I forget.

Last Thursday evening we worked on cleaning up Papa Chip's camper before we left for the weekend. Carson was so excited about sleeping in the camper. He decided he needed to sleep in there that night. He 'packed' his pj's, a few books, his first grade poetry book and a few other odds and ends and brought them out to the top bunk. He climbed on up and proceeded to sing a variety of songs. Soon he was asleep. At 7:00 p.m. This never happens, so we had to wake him a bit to do meds, etc. Travis decided to sleep in the camper with him so they snuggled in together. We had a downpour that night (of course Carson didn't hear it). Carson did wake at 3:30 or so in the morning...he wanted to know what time it was. Well, Mommy had cleaned a little too much and I had brought in his watch and his books. Wrong move, Mama! With a little coaxing, Travis got him back to sleep until it was truly morning.

When Carson arrived in the house on Friday morning I asked him how his night was. He quickly signed 'fine' and proceeded to ask where his watch was. I told him it was on the table as I had brought it in so it wouldn't be lost or forgotten in the camper. Not an acceptable response, as Carson's reply was 'Mama, I am very disappointed in your behavior!'. When I started to laugh, he responded in sign (quite curtly) 'Mama, it's not funny!'. He was very, very serious.

Guess what goes around, comes around. If Carson's not listening, etc. we tell him how we feel about his behavior. If he laughs when he's being disciplined we're quick to tell him that it's not funny. Well, I got all of that coming at me on Friday morning, along with sign language expression to match.

Needless to say, I'm working on my behavior. Perhaps a sticker chart is a good idea? A timeout in my room? I think the going 'time out' rate is still minute in timeout for each year of life....I'm all about 36 minutes in my room. ;) Regardless, I am working on my behavior...

2 comments:

Angie said...

Too bad mommies can't be given timeouts, huh? "Really?! I get to spend 36 minutes ALONE IN MY ROOM!?"
Don't think I'd work too hard on changing my behavior! lol ;)

Katie said...

I LOVE IT! I'm glad he's keeping you in check!
Warm thoughts,
Katie