Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Kitch life update

Wanted to pull in a few details about the last few days here!

Friday night Grammy, Carson & I went shopping at the Street Fair (a big crafting extravaganza) that spans many blocks in downtown Fargo. We had already learned 'the news' so Grammy and I were on the lookout for little girly things. Carson didn't know yet, so he wondered what we were doing looking at that 'stuff'. My cousin has a little girl almost the same age as Grace so I told him a few times we were shopping for Katie. I know...a lie, but I didn't want to ruin the surprise of telling him with Travis.

While at the street fair I had a precious conversation with Grace's foster mom. She has been so loved and cared for! It seemed that both of us had so much to say and yet I found myself speechless at times (which is quite rare for me!). We were trying to catch up on a lifetime for little Grace. Hearing about Grace's journey brought tears - a lot of tears. At a few points sobs of happiness. So, there I am sitting on a curb in the midst of the street fair crying away. I couldn't have been happier! Carson wondered what was going on and thankfully Grammy reassured him that all was okay and when I told him these were 'happy tears' he was fine.

I could hardly sleep Friday night. My mind kept racing and thinking of different things we need to buy or do.

On Saturday, Carson spent some time with Grammy and Great Grandma while I ran a few errands and did some shopping. I found a jackpot at Old Navy on summer sales and stocked up for next summer.

On Saturday afternoon Grammy, Carson and I drove to Perham. A group there sponsors a 'Dreams for Kids' motorcycle ride each year and with that, sponsors 4-5 kids' Make-A-Wish wishes. This year Carson's wish is one of the wishes they are funding. We watched all of the riders ride down Main Street in Perham and then gather afterwards for food, music and fun. We were able to visit with several of the organizers and thank them for what they are doing for our family.

On Saturday evening I had another wonderful visit with Jane, Grace's foster Mommy. We are so excited to meet this family (and of course our little girl!). I didn't get a lot of sleep Saturday night either - just so excited!

As a result of a late night, Carson slept until 9:40 a.m. on Sunday. Guess no church for us! I knew the day would be full of excitement, so wanted to let him sleep. We went over to Grammy's, had brunch and helped her with a project. We came home mid-afternoon and waited for Daddy. It was so special telling Carson. We are so glad we have it on video.

Grammy hosted a BBQ on Sunday evening - we announced our news to local family. Of course, everyone was thrilled. We made a few phone calls to those that couldn't join us as well.

Papa Chip also arrived Sunday for another dr. appt. on Monday. :)

I had a bit of a hard time concentrating at work on Monday. It was so fun to share our news. I did get a lot of work done though and wrapped up quite a few loose ends.

Carson had his last golf lessons of the summer on Monday - they had a tournament. He had a great time. We're happy to see him pick up on 'lifetime' sports, since he has to stay away from 'contact' sports. Although as a little boy those are a natural draw. :) Carson had labs on Monday evening. Of course, he was a champ and all went well with the draw. It was fun to visit with Nancy about our big news. We did learn yesterday that Carson's AST (a liver function test) is elevated. We won't know on his EBV level for a bit. More checking out to do with the AST today and talk a bit more with transplant.

I was able to visit with Ron - Grace's Foster Daddy - as well as Jane again. We are all so thankful for how this has all come together. It's so amazing and powerful and a story we all plan to write down!

Yesterday Carson had tennis again. He has that three days a week for the next few weeks. Last night we did a few house projects, measured for a dresser in Grace's room, packed and made a few phone calls. Carson is very excited to be hanging out with Marisa the next few days.

We got word last night that Nana was discharged yesterday morning and she and Papa made their way home yesterday. Quite a few stops, but that's okay! They are home!!! Hopefully with a lot of rest she will feel stronger each day. We are so thankful for the news last week and for her swift recovery.

We leave tonight after horse therapy for the Cities and will be back on Saturday evening sometime. Not sure how much Internet access we'll have (plus our days will be quite packed). Will update again as soon as we can.

Thank you for the notes and your prayers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless the Kitch family.
This is meant to be!
I'm crying.
Just....crying.
So happy for you.
Love you guys.
Savor every minute.
Write it down every night.
Amy
p.s. Carly says hi!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your whole family absolutely amazes me every day. You are perfect examples of living life to the fullest and are great examples for people like me. I am ecstatic about all of your news and eagerly await for the next page of your adventure. I am so very blessed to know you!

Marisa said...

It was SO fun having you here. It was to quiet here last night after you had left. Can't wait to meet Grace! I found something shopping today and my sister is making Grace something for me to give her. This is all SO great!
Love Ya!