Sunday, March 28, 2010

And a river runs through it

The Flood Fight of 2010 wasn't nearly like the fight of 2009. The Red River crested a hair under 38 feet last Sunday afternoon. One week later, it is still at 32+ feet. It is a slow rise and a slow decline.

Grammy, the kids and I trekked to Des Moines/Waukee on Thursday, March 18 and returned home on March 21. Carson thought it was pretty cool that we were in five states on Thursday (MN, ND, SD, NE, IA). Nephew Jack is just plain adorable - very smiley and cute! He was so close to walking when we were there - he can stand well on his own and takes a step here and there. Yesterday morning Uncle Chris sent video of him taking steps - so fun to see the toddling! We celebrated his first birthday on Saturday while we were in Iowa. I took the kids to the Science Center in Des Moines - we had a great time! I also met up with a photographer who I work with for all of NDSU's Commencement ceremonies - fun to see their office and where everything happens. Also met up with a former co-worker and her three cute kids (we met at Panera, so got my 'fix' too!). It was a whirlwind weekend, but it was fun. We stayed at Staybridge Suites - our new fav place to stay with the kids. Large rooms with a kitchenette plus an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G complementary breakfast (think eating at Perkins). We're very fortunate to get a great discount at every Staybridge Suites - they are big sponsors of Give Kids the World and all GKTW families get a lifetime discount at Staybridge Suites. Only thing that isn't as great is the pool - it's fine but doesn't have bells and whistles for kids. The fact they swam 4 times in as many days...well, I think they still liked it.

This past week zoomed by. Hence the lack of blogging.

Here are some quick updates:

  • Grace is in a toddler bed as of today. Well, actually her crib with the side off, so it is kinda a small daybed. We don't call it a crib any more. It's a bed.
  • We need to search for a big girl bed frame for her. I want one with shelves by the headboard...and one that matches her night stand and dresser. Is that too much to ask? I know Trav will love this shopping trip!!!
  • Grace seems to have quite the natural 'clock' so between time change and her new freedom, waking up early is her new norm. Why, oh why, don't kids have a 'reset button' - it seems everything else does!
  • Grace has been getting early. Really early. As in beating the crack-of-dawn early. And since she is a whiz at getting out of her crib, it's party time! Now she'll be even faster getting out of bed!
  • We eliminated her nap today to see if that helps her morning rise time. She was cranky tonight, so we know she is tired! Here's hoping!
  • We went to a Science Academy at Grace's pre-school on Thursday night - fun evening with a lot of discovery!
  • We had a blast at Family Fun Night at Carson's school on Friday night - games, prizes and more!
  • It was date night last night. Trav, this one is for you!!! We did a bit of shopping before supper. I had some things to return at Sears. Sears is clearancing out all of their Lands' End clothes. Big time clearance. As in I got $280+ in Lands' End women's clothes for $50. If only they would have had men's and kids stuff too! I love scoring deals like that! Trav was so impressed too and really enjoyed hearing me talk about my deals to the sitters and my Mom.
  • Carson and Trav had a great time at a Beethoven and Brahms concert this afternoon. They both came home all smiles.
  • Beautiful day today! I'm an optimist, so I washed winter jackets and will pack them away tonight! :-)

More to come, including pics...but I am so tired!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Great to hear from you, sweetie! Have been thinking about you and wondering how everyone is doing. We have an early bird at our house, too. 6 1/2 and I haven't found his reset button...I'll keep you posted. ;)