Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tell me again about the night I was born...

I haven't read this book to Grace at bedtime for quite a while. It is a fav of mine. Although it is told from the perspective of an adoptive family meeting their newborn child, I think it still 'works' for our family. It's a special story written by Jamie Lee Curtis. It's about love and families and I like to think that that's why, even though we didn't meet Grace as a newborn, it works for us!

It's a beautiful story and my absolute favorite page is:

"Tell me again about the first time you held me in your arms and called me your baby sweet. Tell me again how you cried happy tears."

It brings me back to standing at the base of Papa Ron and Nana Janes's steps waiting for them to bring Grace down from her nap. Betcha never thought the base of a stairway could be a delivery room, but it was!

We started to cry happy tears as they brought Gracie down the steps and saw her in person for the first time. She was so much more beautiful than any pictures we had seen (and we thought she was so adorable and beautiful in the pictures!). As we held her in our arms, we cried happy tears over our new daughter. We were filled with so much emotion. Our journey was full circle to become a family of four.

Thankfully Grace didn't freak out from these two strangers crying all over her. I'm guessing (hoping) our smiles through our tears helped!

So, Gracie, we will love to tell you over and over again about the night you were born!

2 comments:

Aunt Diane said...

Oh, yes! I remember OUR unlikely "delivery rooms" too. Nothing anyone EVER forgets.
Love, Aunt Diane

Amy B., Carly's Mom said...

we have that book too! love it. love your family. God Bless!