Monday, November 22, 2010

I was dreaming of a brown Thanksgiving

After all, Thanksgiving colors are very earth-tone-ish.  Browns, rusts, deep greens...you get the idea.

But then Father Nature* had to go and drop 11.5 inches of the 's' stuff on us today.  Just today.

And more is coming on Wednesday and Thursday with awful winds this crazy valley is known for added in.

I have a feeling this snow is here to stay.  Trav is most certain of it.  I'm more of an optimist and hoping for some 50 degree days in December.  Who do ya think will win this one?!?

Both kids bolted out of bed with near-lightening speed once we told them we were getting lots of snow today.  They were filled with enthusiasm and joy and were already envisioning snowpants and their new snowboots.  I think Grace would have eaten breakfast with her snowpants and boots on if we would have let her.  Never mind the fact she would have been roasting by the time we were leaving for school.

Perhaps it isn't the 's' I mind so much.  I have to be brutally honest (as painful as that is) and admit it was pretty today.  It wasn't windy.  It wasn't overly cold.  It was a beautiful snow.  (I can't believe I just admitted that!).  What I do mind are the crazy drivers who think they can still rod around (with or without four wheel drive).  And I really mind when it is windy.  And cold.  Then all of the beautiful-ness is out the door.

I do hope for safe travels for all for Thanksgiving.  If only Father Nature could put this one off for a few days, I'd be very grateful.

*BTW, I'm convinced 'nature' is male as no female would pull this kind of stuff.  Sorry, guys, just my take on the world and how I reference things!  :-)

1 comment:

Sherryse said...

We had a really beautiful snow a couple of weekends ago. And I thought, "I could be okay with this." And then we had the worst ice storm in like 40 years and 500 cars crashed throughout the metro. And I thought, "is it Spring yet?" After that ice storm, I was actually missing Fargo winters, the wind would have been better.