Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I think we're pink!

And not the pink we'd like. Nope, not the girly-girl fun pink. We're pretty sure Carson has pinkeye. Yuck. We've got the drops and will see what he's like tomorrow morning to decide if he's off to school or home. The LAST thing we want is for Carson to be the 'spreader of contagious disease' since we're so cautious about him being around others with something. Such fun. I really, really, really don't like pinkeye.

For some background, I had 'super pinkeye' several years ago - yes, my pinkeye morphed into some super-resistant form of pestilence. Ended up on three rounds of meds and finally worked with a specialist to kill every bacteria in my eye. I had to use oil drops for weeks because I couldn't even make my own tears. The antibiotics killed everything - good and bad. I think I finally got to wear contacts after about 8 weeks.

So, that's where my strong dislike of pinkeye comes from. Pray that Grace doesn't get it or that it spreads to Trav or I!!!

In other news, got word tonight that Great Grandma needs a new pacemaker. Her battery is low. Guess at 96 years of age, that is allowed. This will be her third pacemaker. It'll be placed next Tuesday. Please keep her in your prayers.

Trav, Grace and I went to hear Reg Green speak today. It was powerful. Of course, we knew it would be. Trav was out with Grace most of the time...she wanted to sing. Of course, we think she has a beautiful singing voice, but we're not sure if the several hundred others in the room would have agreed for the 30+ minute speech. If you aren't familiar with Nicholas Green and his story, you need to be! It is an amazing book (The Nicholas Effect) and a powerful movie. Reg also has a new book out too.

I think the thing that stuck with me the most today was Reg's comments about donor families. He said in all of his trips and travels in 14+ years, a donor family has never told him about the regrets they have by consenting to donate their loved one's organs and tissues. On the other hand, many, many, many families have shared their regret for not doing so. In the midst of their grief they didn't think about what their loved one would have wanted or what made the most sense. They wished they had donated so something positive could have come from their loss. Beautifully said!

Travis and Carson met Reg 6 years ago. He was in town to speak at this same annual conference. I couldn't attend due to a work commitment. Interestingly, Trav spent most of that speech out in the hallway due to a jabbery kiddo. :-) Carson was nearly 18 months old at the time and now here we are with 18-month-old Grace!

As of yesterday, there are 99,571 individuals waiting for an organ. Carson was one of those numbers. Those numbers aren't just statistics. They are people, loved by many, hoping for another chance at life.

That's all for tonight - Carson and I just got back from labs. I have a pic of Reg to post as well as Carson getting his blood drawn. This kid is just amazing - no tears!!! Will try to post tomorrow with the pics as well as lab results.

No comments: