We travelled yesterday to a 90-day review hearing for Grace (not 90 days with us...this happens every 90 days she us under State care and until her adoption is finalized). We were so excited that Papa Ron, Nana Jane and little Noah were able to join us (but hopefully little Noah will be on his way to his forever family soon!). Grace was SO tired - she didn't nap on the way down. She was so good though! Carson was a bit nervous about the courtroom (he told us the night before that he hadn't seen a judge or been in a courtroom before...perhaps that can be a good thing, Carson!?!). We are so glad we had taken him out of school so he could be there for the hearing, see the courtroom and meet the Judge. Carson thought the metal detector screening was quite cool too. What a deal!
The hearing itself was brief and straightforward. I have to be honest...when the State's Attorney started talking about her current placement is a suitable family and home, I was so close to crying. I really didn't hear much after that. We are so in love with Grace and can't imagine her not in our family. We've embraced her as a great-granddaughter, a granddaughter, a niece, a cousin, a sister and as a daughter. To hear all of it in a legal sense was surreal. Needless to say, I need to pack Kleenex for her finalization...which will hopefully be in December.
After the formal proceedings were done, the Judge came down and visited with us. He is a wonderful Judge...a very nice man. We were so glad to have met him! He's been watching over Grace's case for a while now.
Soon we were on our way. We all went to Perkins for a visit and snack and Grace showed off a few of her new tricks to Papa and Nana. We were quite certain Grace would fall asleep quickly as she was so exhausted. Apparently she had other plans. Although the fall trees were beautiful, I don't think they were why she stayed awake. :-) Anyway, after a stop to try to get some energy out along the way, we traveled on home. Finally, shortly after Detroit Lakes and less than 40 minutes from home (and nearly 2 hours behind us), she fell asleep. It was about her bedtime. She had been up for almost 12 hours straight. With the exception of the 10 minutes prior to falling asleep, she was so good. (Likely a whole lot sweeter than I am when I'm that tired!!!). She woke up at about 6:00 this morning, so I'm guessing a nap will be welcomed by her today. This is, after all, the girl who loves her sleep. She's having her music therapeutic listening right now and just singing away. It's so cute!
Thankfully, she doesn't have any therapy today. It was canceled due to the therapist's vacation. It's a quiet day and for that, I am very thankful. Hopefully we can get out for a stroller ride and of course we have some fun girly playtime planned for today.
That's all for today!
1 comment:
That is great, Rhonda! I can't wait for her finalization!
Post a Comment