Sunday, December 28, 2008

Quite the liver party!

We hosted a liver party today! Now, if you know anything about us, you'll know the LAST thing we served was liver. :-) Today we celebrated Carson's 7 years post-transplant and had some of the neighbor kids over. We typically do something like swimming or bowling, but with Mr. Pneumonia still in recovery, we stayed close to home. Everyone played Wii downstairs for a while, then decorated sugar cookies and ate cake. We did chuckle at the ribbon on the cake - we asked for an 'awareness' ribbon (i.e. breast cancer ribbon) only in green. Well, you'll see what we got. It was low-key and a great afternoon. Grace missed the entire party as she napped through it all. Given her need to rest, we let her sleep. After all, there will be more liver parties!

Carson is doing better every day. Nearly every time when Carson gets sick (which isn't that frequent) he bounces back quickly. He has been hit pretty hard this time and we see the real effects of him being immune-suppressed. Despite his protests of not 'needing' naps the last two days, he is resting a lot and getting to bed very, very early.

We seem to have caught Grace's gunk very early. Her cough was persistent through most of yesterday into the early afternoon yesterday. Today, she was better. Still coughing a bit, but better. She hasn't missed a beat, and is her typical happy self. This is wonderful, of course, but teaches us that we can't rely on her happy personality to tell us when she is sick. We need to watch for other cues. She is such a trooper!

So far, I remain 'disease-free'. No sign of any coughs, so I'm praying it stays that way. A friend asked me if I was to the point of drinking Purell yet (I'm known for having Purell everywhere - my office, purse, etc.). I'm not chugging it yet, but my hands are raw from all of the hand washing. We'll get through this crud! If we had to get sick in this house, I am quite thankful it happened when Trav and Carson are on break from classes and now I've been home on vaca since last Tuesday and go back to work on January 2.

We got the kiddos dressed up this afternoon to take pics by the tree. Since Carson felt so awful on Christmas Eve we only captured 'tree' pictures with Grace. I snapped quite a few...with my literal moving targets, it was a challenge! I love to keep the flash off to capture the lights of the tree better. Made for some challenges, but oh they are so stinking cute!!!

That's all for tonight - watch for another update tomorrow and be sure to check 'older' posts for all of the pics.

No comments: