Thursday, February 26, 2009

Birthdays are a coming

With two birthdays in our family coming up I thought I would post some thoughts on potential gifts for Carson and Grace. To put it bluntly, we have enough toys. To bluntly repeat my bluntness: WE HAVE ENOUGH TOYS! So I thought I would (bluntly?) compile a list of organizations that could benefit from any potential birthday money (or volunteered time) that you would otherwise spend on our children. Contributions to any of these organizations could be made in honor of Carson and Grace, subsequently benefiting the world in which we live as well as helping to mitigate the over-toy-ification of our basement.

You might be saying to yourself, well Carson and Grace are special children and I really want to get them something. I could not agree more that they are indeed two very special children. However, teaching them that happiness comes in the form of an excessive number of toys (blunt translation: spoiling), in my opinion, makes them a little less special. I would prefer that my children learn to appreciate what they already have and not to expect something new and shiny every time the earth revolves around the sun.

With that said, here is a list of organizations that are near and dear to our hearts (and livers).

Sincerely (and bluntly),Travis

The American Liver Foundation
www.liverfoundation.org

The Canadian Liver Foundation
www.liver.ca

The American Heart Association
www.americanheart.org

The Canadian Heart and Stroke Association
www.heartandstroke.com

Life Source (Please sign up to be an organ donor)
www.life-source.org/

The Ronald McDonald House
www.rmhc.com/

Make-A-Wish
www.wish.org

Give Kids the World
www.gktw.org/

The Arbor Day Foundation (We like trees!)
www.arborday.org/

And don’t forget to donate blood…
www.unitedbloodservices.org/
www.bloodservices.ca/

No comments: