We were up pretty early to gear up for the day. After breakfast, we went to one venue and got shuttle bussed to the start of the 5K. The 5K started near the Capital, so it was a picture-perfect setting. We joined in with the walkers and started off on our morning adventure. Grace was very content in the stroller. At one point the boys decided to run ahead. Carson sprinted and got pretty tired out. It wasn't sunny but it was overcast and somewhat humid with no breeze. I knew my morning shower was worthless! We cruised along and soon met up with the boys. They had stopped for water. Carson was so tired from his sprinting that Trav ended up carrying him for a bit. Soon we were at the finish line and we crossed the line with all of us walking across. A fun memory of the Games!
We met up with dear liver buddy Marisa for a few minutes before she was off to swim. We went back to the hotel. Trav took the kids swimming and I found a grocery store to stock up on some goodies. I made lunch for us and we got Grace and Daddy down for a nap. Carson and I ventured to the bowling venue so he could practice. We saw another family from our team - they live in Moorhead too and the liver recipient goes to Carson's school. Small world!
After Carson beat me in bowling, we went back to the hotel. Grace was still sleeping, which was was great. We all rested for a bit and then got ready for they opening ceremony. There was a team tailgate party so we met more members from Team Minnesota/Dakotas. We also got to meet the teenager from Utah (we had met his Dad on Friday)! So cool! Soon it was time for Grace and I to leave (all supporters had to go!). We made our way to the venue of the opening ceremony. Daddy and Carson (decked out in their team uniforms) lined up with the team. (All child athletes have a parent/guardian with them, so Daddy got all of the same team gear as Carson). Grace and I stopped at the van to drop off the stroller and pick up our signs we had made at the Expo - Grace's says "Go Brother!". :-) We found great spots to sit in the Coliseum and were near Marisa's family. The best $6 I spent yesterday was for popcorn and a bag of peanut M&M's for Miss Grace. Despite the fact that we were in there for about 3 hours, Grace did wonderfully. Opening Ceremony is just like the big-time Olympics - each team parades in with the athletes trailing behind their team banner. Each team is announced as they enter the arena floor. Carson had a great time during the procession and no surprise, I cried as I watched our miracle parade across the floor with his team. Following all of the athletes is the group of living donors and finally the donor families. The parade of donor families is incredible and tears streamed down my cheeks as we cheered and thanked these families for the precious gifts they had given!
The ceremony was filled with songs, many intros, a great organ donation message from the Govenor of Wisconsin, a look back on the last 10 games (U.S. Games are held every other year, so this year is the 20th Anniversary). Larry Hagman was there for his welcome and challenge to 'show your scars' and Chris Klug helped light the torch. It was official: Let the Games Begin!
Carson was wiped out and had fallen asleep towards the end of the ceremony. He woke at the end and we all met up at the van. Back to the hotel and (thanks to a 24 hour pool) enjoyed some swim time before bed. These late nights are certainly not something the kids are used to, but it's vaca!
1 comment:
Wow, what an emotional read! I feel like I am there. I was shedding tears too, as I read some of those events. Such an amazing and blessed experience. Love and LOTS of prayers. Auntie Diane
Post a Comment