Sunday, January 25, 2009

Carson's thoughts on election day

Carson and I had an amazing conversation the night of the election. As we visited I asked him why he liked Obama so much. He talked about how he was a Dad, had two kids and would do things good for kids. All of those things would make him a nice man and a good President, according to Carson.

I asked him if he understood why the day was 'historic' and so important. I told him it was a day he would read about in history books when he got older (provided the history books aren't all written by a bunch of old white men...insert Mommy's bias here!!!). He didn't understand why it was THAT important of a day.

So, I shared with him that this was the first time a person of color was President of the United States. I told him that all of our other Presidents had been white men. That Barack Obama, our 44th President, was making history in many ways.

Carson's response to my comment about all of the previous President being white men blew me away. He asked, "Mom, what about the women?"

I had a huge lump in my throat. I was also giddy. This was coming from my son!!!!!! I tried to think of a good response, but told him (probably a little too cynically) that the United States didn't seem ready for that yet. That it was crazy, because women can do everything that men can, but that a woman as President or Vice President hadn't happened yet.

He asked me if everyone liked President Obama. I told him the truth - that not everyone did. When Carson asked why, I told him that that is the wonderful thing about our country - that people could disagree and talk about why we disagree and that is okay. That some people have different ideas and ways to do things.

I told him too that some people don't like President Obama just because of the color of his skin. Carson's eyes were HUGE. He couldn't fathom this. He was speechless. I could tell he was struggling. I told him I knew that didn't make a lot of sense, but it was very sad. My heart soared when he responded that it is what is in your heart, not what you look like that makes you a good person. (Okay, I was never this smart at seven years old, heck, not even thirty seven!!!).

With that, Carson said "We need to pray for Obama". I couldn't agree, more Carson. Our President needs our prayers as our country faces some very difficult issues - domestically and abroad.

And with that, we prayed for our new President.

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

My goodness, Carson, but I do have a very smart grandson. The best thing we can do for President Obama and our country, to help all of our lawmakers make good decisions for us all, and get us out of our several messes, is to pray. You scare me with your more-than-adult thinking. If only we could all be like children...loving and trusting, caring, and so wise. Carson, in your Bible, read 2 Chronicles 7:14. God tells us to pray for our country. Smart you are !

Sherryse said...

Carson! You are so smart!! Not just at math and reading and everything in school . . . you are smart in other things too! Like knowing what is nice and what is mean . . . or why something is okay and why some things are bad. You are one smart kid! I am so proud of you!

Angie said...

Carson, you are an amazing little boy and I can't help but think of what AMAZING parents you have, who have taught you so well.