Carson was quite excited this afternoon - Trav and I talked it through and at Trav's insistence, he is taking the night shift tonight. Carson was quite giddy that he and Daddy would be 'camping' together.
I hit the wall this afternoon and needed to get out of the hospital. Between the lab stuff last night and this morning and some other communication challenges, I think it was best that I get out for a bit. We have had great care with Carson - we really have. Don't get me wrong. But communicating with parents is critical. Something I am very sensitive about. This isn't just medical record 0123456789. He is our son. Don't mess with the knowledge, experience and history that we have.
'Nuf said.
So, I got home a little after 6:00 p.m. after trying to adjust to winter temperatures when I walked outside - the hospital temp is a constant 76 degrees.
I'm now sipping a glass of wine and digging through some email. I am quite sure I will be asleep by 10:00 p.m.
Carson is looking better and better. He's scrawny though. Still trying to figure out how I can teleport some weight to him. I'm sure many would join me in this transfer! He's starting to get the energy to be silly again and today's game was sneaking the occasional fruit loop down the back of my sweater and later today ice. He giggled and giggled. It was precious to hear.
He is very weak - it is going to take him a while to build up his stamina. He is a toughie though! We got out for more laps around the unit today and played more games today. He continues to prevail at pretty much all that we do - and most of the time I am not letting him win!!!
He had exciting visitors today (he loves visitors, can you tell?) - Daddy and Grace came for their visit - good hugs and cuddles! Also, his two 'Amys' from school - his interpreter and hard of hearing teacher - stopped by. He was thrilled to see them and talked about their visit most of the rest of the afternoon while he enjoyed the balloons they brought. The hospital artist also stopped by and drew a picture of Carson. It's pretty funny. A caricature more than anything. Papa Chip arrived - to Carson's surprise. I hadn't told him what time Papa would arrive and Carson's eyes were big when Papa walked through the door. Grammy and Great Grandma also stopped by on her way to being discharged. She is moving to a transitional care unit. She is quite weak - she can't get out of bed or out of a chair on her own, so back to Grammy's house is not an option right now. She's also on IV antibiotics until next Tuesday and has been on oxygen - not sure if she is still on that or not. We'll see what time brings - she has certainly slowed down. But as I tell her, she is doing awesome for 96 1/2!
(Side note - why is it that at the 'bookends' of life we count our age in fractions? That is important to Carson right now - he is 7 and 3/4 - and my Grandma does it too! So cute on both accounts!)
Tomorrow should be pretty low-key. We might have a better prelim idea on if his urine culture from yesterday is growing anything. We're praying, praying, praying about that. Now that I think of it, we've certainly prayed a lot about Carson's pee! Thinking back to a little over seven years ago and there was a whole lot of 'praying for pee' when he was started up on dialysis. Oh, Carson - when you read this when you are older, know that these prayers were all out of love and not to torture and embarrass you!
Grace has some appointments in the morning, so we're going to have a girls morning. If Papa Chip sticks around and doesn't head up to the hospital, he may just get pretties in his hair. Will go from there on what is next and if Trav deems it safe for me to return to the hospital. ;-)
Thank you all so much for the love and prayers - we feel it coming from so many directions! Keep the notes coming too - he LOVES them (well, we all do)!
2 comments:
Love and Prayers!
I hope to hear the pee is clean of all yucky stuff.
Sending more prayers your way. I'm guessing God and Carson have this all in a fabulous plan (as they seem to do often) :)
Post a Comment