Thursday, January 8, 2009

A very precious gift

With the whirlwind week we've had, I haven't been able to share about a very special and precious gift.



Last Friday when I arrived home from work, Trav prompted me to go and change right away. When I came back downstairs, he had his coat on and announced he'd be back in about a half an hour with a surprise.

We always banter that whenever we have a surprise for each other we ask if the other is bringing us a pony. Trav wouldn't commit to if I was getting a pony...but he didn't say that I wasn't either. ;-)

I was busy with the kids, so didn't think about it much. I thought he was perhaps picking up a pizza and a few movies. I couldn't have been more wrong.

About 45 minutes later, he arrived home. He called me while he was still in the garage and told me to sit on the couch. The kids were next to me on each side. I heard him come in and unwrap something and bring it into the living room. Soon I could open my eyes.

It was not a pony.

It was better.

Much better.







It is titled "Miracles Can Happen" and is by David E. Krech, an artist from St. Paul.


I instantly started to cry.


You see, there is quite a story behind this print.

We 'moved' into the Ronald McDonald House in the Cities in November 2001 when Carson was ambulanced from Children's to Fairview University Children's Hospital. We stayed there until we went home at the end of January 2002. We've been there many times since - from short doctor visits to week-long stays with his line infection and last open heart surgery.

Every time you pass through the main doors at the RMH, you pass by this painting. It is breathtaking. I have always admired it and just loved it. I have commented on it nearly every stay.

At our recent stay in November when we passed by it, I got a lump in my throat. I had certainly always loved the painting, but now with Carson AND Grace, it had special meaning. I continued to tear up each time we passed by it in November.

Travis, being the amazing husband and father that he is, had thought of the painting prior to our arrival to RMH. He started inquiring while we were there. He soon found the artist and talked to him. He ordered a print. He had it delivered to his work address. Then he got it framed. He had wanted it ready in time for Grace's finalization and Carson's transplant anniversary, but it wasn't quite ready yet.

It was a huge surprise to me - I had no idea he was up to all of this. It was only on Friday evening that I learned the title of the painting, which is even more fitting with our two little miracles.

The author has this text accompanying the print:
Children love to find a special place, where they can go and play make believe. They paint all their dreams every color in the rainbow, with the trust that each time the sun shines in their lives, they will see the color of their dreams. Throughout life the child in all of us, keeps our dreams alive!

Sometimes a child falls down and gets up with only a scratch, others need special help to get back up, and still others get up long enough to walk through the white light ahead. When a child reaches out their hands and a helping hand is there…


We are moving some things around in the living room to place it there. I'll take a pic when it is up (it has been a bit busy in our house this week!). I am so blessed that I can look at it every day, just as I can look at the two miracles in our home every day.

I love you, honey! You are so amazing! I'm so glad it wasn't pizza, movies or even a pony! Thank you!

3 comments:

Angie said...

It is beautiful...and you are AWESOME, Trav! :)

Moni said...

Yes, very beautiful! Amazing how so many things in your lives fall into place so perfectly. I love reading your stories as they unfold.

Ruthie said...

I've always known I have an outstanding son-in-law...he just keeps proving it over and over again. Now, if I can figure out how to carbon-copy him and add 20 years, I'll take one !
Thanks for being who you are, Trav!
God Bless you over and over (like he already has)
Mom Ruthie