Friday, March 27, 2009

One more day...

That has been the mantra of Fargo-Moorhead this week - 'one more day, and one more foot', referring to the need for volunteers for one more day and to raise the dikes one more foot. We thought 37 feet would be tough...little did we know that we'd be facing the potential of a crest of 43 feet.

In very good news, the Wild Rice river (south of Fargo) crested at a lower level than expected. Evensons and Papa Chip are holding tight and the water is going down. A ways to go, but they are very optimistic!

The generator arrived today - whew! As I told Jody last night, I think my blood pressure dropped significantly when I knew one was on the way. Thank you again, Jody and Joel!!!

Talked to Trav several times today - he activated the manual override of the sewer system today - city encouraged this. Our sump pump also froze outside, but Trav quickly remedied it. With the cold temps, our sump pump is not running very frequently. That is a good thing - if we lose power, it'll be that much easier to stay on top of (plus the garage will double as a freezer for our food - what a bonus!!!).

Trav is out making sandbags right now - has been since early afternoon. He connected with a volunteer from St. Paul. This man came up and with no place to stay, he planned to sleep in his car tonight. If you have been watching any news from Fargo-Moorhead, you know that we are far from having tropical temps. So, he'll be staying at our place. I'm glad Trav won't be there by himself (yes, honey...I know you tell me all is fine about a thousand times...but I'm genetically programmed to worry!!!).

Grace is doing wonderfully. Papa and Nana are having a great time seeing all of her new tricks and talents and hearing all of her words. Carson and I talked about tonight that it is only two more sleeps until we see Grace.

Carson is loving baby Jack to pieces and Grammy and I are often fighting over him. He is adorable.

We've learned that Carson won't have school all of next week. Depending on what the next 24-48+ hours bring for Fargo-Moorhead, we'll make plans accordingly. The crest should be some time tomorrow...we'll be on pins and needles. Thankfully, we can get live stream radio from Fargo, so we are very connected!

I'm wiped out - only slept for a few hours last night. Heading to bed a bit earlier tonight.

Sending countless prayers to Fargo-Moorhead - praying for the people, that the crest is lower than predicted and that the miles of dikes protecting our community will hold.

No comments: