I'm not exactly sure how to sum up the emotions of today.
I packed up myself and the kids late last night. I went in to work early this morning and worked for a few hours. I got back home mid-morning and prepped some more. We said goodbye to Daddy - this was hard for all of us.
My mom (Grammy), Carson, Grace and I headed out on I-94 (eastbound). We stopped in St. Cloud and dropped Grace off with Nana Jane and Papa Ron. It was so hard to say goodbye. Probably more for Carson and me. We know she'll be in wonderful hands. We made the decision not to bring Grace the whole way on several levels - Chris and Hilary's home is not child-proof! With Grace's sensory issues, she would have had a challenging couple of days. Ron and Jane's home is certainly familiar to her. As hard as it is, we know this is the best plan and we know she is in the best hands and will be smothered in love!!!
The three of us travelled on and arrived tonight in Des Moines. My youngest brother, Chris, his wife, Hilary and my adorable new nephew, Jack, live here. My mom and I had originally planned to come this weekend to meet Jack. With everything this week, I felt there was no way we could/would leave.
That changed yesterday.
All week we have continued to reassure Carson that Daddy and Mommy are making decisions that will keep Carson and Grace safe. With a transplant recipient in our family, we don't mess around with stuff like this. The idea of the potential lack of access to excellent medical care is terrifying. Add a flood of historic nature, potential evacuations and road closures in two of the four directions out of town...well, it didn't take us long to figure out what we were going to do.
Today was a very challenging day for our community.
The news of the potential of a 42 even 43 foot crest was announced.
Travis was pulled from sandbagging in south Moorhead for safety reasons in that neighborhood. Hours later that area is now under mandatory evacuation.
Certain roads will be closed as of tomorrow morning (main, critical roads) so trucks can move more swiftly.
If I'm calculating correctly, there are now two open bridges between Fargo-Moorhead (Interstate and Main Avenue). Reports are that it takes about 2 1/2 hours to move just a few miles. I can normally get from southern Moorhead to north Fargo (home to work) in about 15 - 20 minutes.
What is amazing is that volunteers are still committed to winning this fight.
My heart aches to not be there. I feel like I've cried enough for my own river of tears.
I did get a call today that gave a ray of hope - from our dear friend Jody (they survived the '97 flood in south Fargo). Jody offered her help. As I frantically tried to think of what could be needed by Trav and our neighbors, I thought of a generator. Who knows what is going to happen. Our battery back-up option with the sump could only last so long if the power is out.
Within a few hours, Jody became an generator expert! Plans are to connect somewhere along I-94 in Minnesota tomorrow! Thank you so much, Jody and Joel!!!!
We are praying so hard. We know the damage could be catastrophic. We know that possessions are only things...we hope that everyone stays smart and safe through this. Homes have already been lost - but no lives. We want it to stay that way.
Keep praying and hoping that Fargo, Moorhead and the surrounding communities can win this battle!
No comments:
Post a Comment